Sunday, March 27, 2016

BPD, Constitutional Factors



Studies propose a link between impulsive acts and abnormalities in the metabolism of serotonin (a chemical neurotransmitter implicated in mood disorders).  Researchers have suggested that the same impulsivity observed among those with BPD (and perhaps people with eating disorders and substance abusers) may be related to similar metabolic defects.  A borderliner’s frequent abuse of food, alcohol and other drugs- typically interpreted as self destructive behavior- is often an attempt to self medicate inner emotional turmoil and dysfunction of the brain.  Studies reveal abnormal brainwave activity over the temporal lobe of people with BPD.  These researchers also found abnormally high levels of pituitary hormone during tests. 


This was the case with me- my BPD was intensified because of a hormone-secreting tumor on my pituitary gland.  This rare disease is called Acromegaly.  When I had the tumor removed in 2007 at the age of nineteen my whole perception of the world changed.  It was like I finally woke up from an intense nightmare.  I find it difficult to remember much about my life when I was a teenager due to the hormone-induced mania I experienced during those years.

No comments:

Post a Comment