Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Borderline and Separation




Separation from parents, particularly during the first few years of life, are common in the borderline biography.  On the surface, these separations may appear insignificant, yet they have profound effects.  SLXLFor example, the birth of a sibling takes a mother away from her normal activities for a few weeks, but when she returns, she is no longer as responsive to the older child- mother has disappeared and has been replaced by someone who will always be different, one who now has mothering duties with a younger sibling. 

For the healthy child in a healthy environment, this trauma is easily overcome, but for the borderline in a borderline setting it may be one of a series of losses and perceived abandonments.  Extended illnesses, frequent travels, divorce, or the death of a parent also deprive the developing infant of consistent mothering at crucial times, which may interfere with our abilities to develop trust and constancy in our unstable and unreliable world.


In my case, my mother and father did their best to give me the attention I needed, but I had three younger sisters to divide that attention with.  As well, my father was traveled for his work.  He didn’t travel all the time, but as a child it seemed like dad was gone a lot, or at least more than I wanted him to be.  There are a handful of birthdays I remember being without my parents because they were away, and I have always hated my birthdays because of this.  When you look at it from a healthy point of view this is no big deal, but for someone with the tendency toward a Borderline way of thinking, it can be mistaken for abandonment.  It takes a mature person to be able to see beyond those feelings to the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment