Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Being Borderline

          




          Some of the most difficult aspects of having BPD is the emptiness, loneliness, and outright intensity of emotions I have.  My extreme behaviors keep me and everybody else confused.  Some borderlines (mostly teenagers) try to express their inner emotional pain though outward physical pain in the form of self mutilation.  Another reason they might do this is because they feel that they are punishing themselves for any real or imagined wrongdoing.  In that case, self damaging behavior serves as an expiation for sin.

My fear of change involves a basic distrust of my "brakes".  In healthier people psychic brakes allow a gradual descent from the pinnacle of a mood or behavior to a gentle stop in the 'gray zone' of the incline.  Afraid that my set of brakes won't hold, I believe that I won't be able to stop, that I will slide out of control to the bottom of the emotional hill.  
 

For those of us with Borderline Personality Disorder, psychological change requires resisting unproductive automatic reflexes and consciously and willfully choosing other alternatives choices that are opposite, from the automatic reflex- sometimes these new ways of behaving are frightening, but they are more efficient ways of coping.

No comments:

Post a Comment