Thursday, March 24, 2016

Job Problems for the Borderline

          


          I have had so many jobs.  I am good at making positive first impressions so it is relatively easy for me to obtain a job.  I have never been fired but I have a problem with quitting.  My anxiety overwhelms me when I’m working to the point where I dissociate and sometimes don’t know where I am or what instructions my boss has given me.  I am an intelligent and artistic person that is fueled by powerful emotions so I enjoy jobs that tap into my creativity.  Hard labor and a high pressure environment do not mix well with me.  Jobs where I am face to face with less than satisfied customers or critical bosses are also a detriment to me.


Most people with Borderline disorder don’t do well in competitive careers because we are hypersensitive to rejection and failure.  I used to think that if I failed at a task I failed as a human being.  This kind of thinking destroyed my occupational experiences.  I think in my jobs I have always needed affirmation for good work and not many superiors take the time to encourage their employees.  I am looking forward to the day when my anxiety is in control enough to allow me to flourish in whatever occupation I choose to pursue.

1 comment:

  1. I think we can all benefit from bosses who take more time to extend encouragement to us. We all want to be praised and have our work appreciated and recognized from time to time. I know I personally have issues in high stress environments at my job. Some days it really gets to me and my anxiety goes through the roof. If I don't use grounding skills, which sometimes still don't help, work life can be so hard to handle I all but lose it!

    When I was younger I had a ton, and I mean a ton of jobs too, and I quit nearly every one because of anxiety or I was afraid I couldn't do the work even if I really could.

    You are doing great Joy and I'm with you on this anxiety journey! :)

    ReplyDelete